Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Power of Love
By Dr.Jyoti Patil

The power of love is unimaginable and immense. This can be understood by them only, who have experienced this bliss, as it is not so easily available to everyone. It is something very rare and out of lakhs of practical people only a handful of them are blessed with this tender emotional bliss of God. It is pure, serene and ultimate. It is absolutely not that tendency which is prevalent today in the name of love. I only became lucky enough to see this divine power from a distance when this feeling just ruffled me with HER fond memory

One day when I came back home an unexpected news was waiting for me. I was informed by my neighbour that she had done something very extraordinary which was just opposite of what she looked to be. My thoughts rolled back some seven years ago when she was living next door to me. At that time she was a chubby lovely little girl, with typical Maharashtrian looks, curly hair neatly and tightly parted and plaited into two, big grey eyes, fair colour. She was docile and decent. She was studious and obedient. She was homely and coy. She was almost tacit. 

Whenever I happened to meet her while going out or coming back she would politely leave the way to let me go with her demure smile. This is one characteristic which is perhaps vanishing rapidly from the attitude of today’s young generation. They are taught so meticulously in public schools to follow etiquettes. But being polite to everyone, greeting or wishing elders and giving them respectful preference are being comfortably forgotten or thrown into dust the moment they come out of their training.  

In flat scheme culture it is a routine not to recognize even your next door neighbour and pass by them as if they have seen nothing. Even a friendly smile becomes very expensive and they don’t want to waste it. 
But this little girl was different, she was going to a Marathi medium school, she followed all the etiquettes which are taught in public schools as curriculum. I always praised her demeanour and gave credit to her mother who always seemed to guide her.
 
She had a little brother who always accompanied her to school.  Quite often both of them go out together to play, to tuition classes and to market. It was really a pleasant feeling to meet such a pretty girl who always seems to brighten up her surrounding with her lovely smile and modest attitude. 

She helped her mother in her chores like an obedient child and I really felt from the bottom of my heart that those who are blessed with daughters are really blessed with god’s best blissful gift. Daughters always exude a feeling of enchantment in their surrounding with intimate emotions that everyone around them feels gratified.  I feel it is true that daughters are really the fulcrum of sweet home and without them the home becomes just a house. Their mere presence brightens up the whole atmosphere and the house becomes a home in real sense.

The little chubby girl has now transformed into a beautiful young girl and has shifted to a new house. I came to know that she is studying in a reputed college. I had all the praises for her as I always aspired for a daughter. Any way I tried to compensate this void by treating her as my daughter. 
But that day when I heard this unexpected news (rather expected from any teen when they are merely led by emotions) about her elopement with one of her class fellows, I could not believe my ears. I thought that there must be some mistake; she can not do something like this. Her temperament as far as I know is not of that type who can dare to do such a bold thing.

But I was wrong; it was true that she left her house without telling her parents to live her life according to her own wishes. I don’t know how far she will be successful in her independent search for happy life. I can only wish her all the happiness in her future life. Perhaps destiny has planned this to happen in her life. I guess that her passion for her newfound love must have made her to muster that much of courage to face the world on her own. It is the power of love that has won in her case.   

(Article for Middle Space, Hitavada, appeared on 16th Jan ‘09)

No comments: